County Executive MaryEllen Odell Announces All County Facilities Are Closed Wednesday March 15, 2017 To Allow Crews To Continue Snow Cleanup Efforts
While the worst of the storm is behind us, cleanup remains a major concern. “With the heavy snowfall and wind gusts our highway crews have been fighting a steady battle that began late Monday night” said County Executive MaryEllen Odell, “while our County highways are passable there is still much work that needs to be done”. Highway Commissioner Fred Pena said “County parking lots remain a concern as heavy equipment will need to be brought in to remove the snow”. To allow the Highway crews the time needed to effectively clear the County parking lots all non-essential County facilities will be closed today, Wednesday March 15, 2017.
Today’s weather conditions include mostly cloudy skies with temperatures that will remain below freezing and wind gusts of up to 25 MPH. The Putnam County Emergency Operations Center will continue to monitor this event
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Keep your vehicle clear of snow and ice including vehicle rooftops
- Keep your vehicle gas tank full to prevent gasoline freeze-up
- When shoveling snow
- Push snow rather than lifting
- If you do lift use a smaller shovel or only partially fill the shovel
- Lift with your legs not your back
- Do not work to the point of exhaustion
- Don’t shovel or do other work outside without your doctor’s permission if you have a history of heart disease
- Cold weather can increase your heart rate and blood pressure and it can make blood clot more easily and constrict arteries, which decreases blood supply. This is true even in healthy people. Individuals over the age of 40 or who are relatively inactive should be particularly careful
- If you feel tightness in your chest or dizziness stop immediately and call 9-1-1
- Stay hydrated and consider taking a break every 20 or 30 minutes
- If your snow blower jams turn it off by removing the key and do not reach into the blower assembly with your hands
- Do not run any gas powered devices such as a snow blower or generator in an enclosed space due to carbon monoxide
Don’t forget to check on your neighbors, relatives and vulnerable friends. “If you know of someone that may need some help please take a moment and make a quick visit or call to ensure they’re okay” says County Executive MaryEllen Odell.
*Content is copyrighted by the respective owners*
Buying or selling a home in Putnam, Westchester or Dutchess County?
Rental Search Putnam County